The air we breathe in our homes is not pure and it is full of contaminants. The sad truth is that most people do not know this. Indoor pollution can be caused by various things such as dust, pollen, allergens, pet dander, chemical fumes, smoke, smog among other contaminants.
Therefore, you need to be careful especially if you suffer from asthma or different allergies. One of the surest ways of ensuring that you are breathing in clean air in your home is investing in the best air purifier. If you have been wondering whether air purifiers are effective against smog or in cleaning the air, you need to read this guide to learn how these appliances works and why you need them.Do Air Purifiers Work? Are They Effective Against Smog? Click To Tweet
Table of Contents
What is an Air Purifier?
An air purifier is a gadget that is used to remove different air contaminants such as dust, pet dander, pollen, gases, chemicals, odors, smoke, and allergens. However, these units are very different which means that some are more effective than others. They also use different technologies which means that the type of pollutant they are able to remove varies from one product to the other. For example, some are only able to remove pet dander, pollen and other small particles while others are suitable for removing dust mites and allergens. This means that before you make a choice on which model to buy, you need to ensure that you understand which pollutants the unit is able to remove.
Which contaminants do air purifiers remove from the air?
Air purifiers come with different filters which means that they do not work the same. If you are searching for an air purifier that is able to remove gases and Volatile Organic Compounds[ VOCs], you need to ensure that it has an activated carbon filter. This filter is highly reliable when it comes to removal of chemical pollutants and unpleasant odors from the air.
The air purifiers with True HEPA filters are the best since they are able to remove up to 99.97% of all air pollutants with up to 0.3 microns. A micron is a very small particle which you cannot see with your eyes unless you use a microscope. HEPA filters are also able to remove viruses and bacteria from the air. Below are the common types of filters used in air purifiers.
- HEPA Filters [High Efficiency Particulate Air Filter] – Air purifies with this type of filter are the best because they are able to remove even the smallest particles up to 0.3 microns. These filters are made of cotton, foam or fine mesh and they are very safe and reliable. When buying these filters, you should check the Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value[ MEVR] rating to determine the effectiveness of the filter. Filters with the highest MEVR are the best because they are able to remove even the smallest particles.
- Activated Carbon Filters – What you need to know about these filters is that they are normally combined with other filters because they are not able to trap pollutants on their own. However, they are the best for removing VOCs, odors, chemicals and gases from the air.
- Electrostatic Filters – Electrostatic filters are among the most advanced types of air purifiers. They work like the HEPA filters although they trap contaminants using electric charge. These filters are highly effective in removal of pet dander, pollen and other pollutants from the air.
- Ozone Generators – These ones produces ozone which removes contaminants from the air. However, they can cause irritation to your lungs which means that they are not very safe especially to those who suffer from different allergies.
- Ultraviolet Light Air Purifiers – These filters are unique since they use an Ultraviolet lamp to kill microorganisms. However, they are not able to trap pollutants on their own and to enhance their effectiveness, they are normally paired with other purification systems.
What is the difference between a humidifier and an air purifier?
Air purifiers are designed in a special way that enables them to remove fine particles such as dust, mold, pollen, dust mites and pet dander from the air. However, they do not change the levels of humidity in your home.
On the other hand, humidifiers add moisture to the air to prevent dryness. They are not able to remove pollutants from the air.
Who should buy an air purifier?
- An air purifier will be very useful for people who suffer from allergies or those who are asthmatic. These units are able to filter out all bacteria, allergens, viruses and other pollutants to ensure that the air you are breathing is very fresh and clean.
- If you have with an elderly or a sick person in your home, an air purifier will be an important unit because it improves the overall quality of the air inside the house.
- It is also an important device for those who have pets in their homes. Pet dander is very dangerous and may cause various problems such as sneezing, headaches, coughing among other problems.
- If you live in a busy town, you need to invest in a quality air purifier to ensure that the air you are breathing is free from pollutants.
- Again, an air purifier is a great appliance for those who really mind about their health because it is able to remove all airborne toxins, viruses and bacteria from the air.
Conclusion- Do air purifiers work?
Air purifiers are among the most important appliances you should never miss in your home. If you suffer from allergies or asthma, an air purifier is a must have device but you need to ensure that it is able to remove allergens, bacteria and viruses from the air.
If you live in Delhi NCR or other metros, and want to take care of smog in winters then buy an air purifier with Hepa filter which uses a fan to force air through a fine mesh to trap particles. These purifiers are the best because they are able to remove even the smallest particles from the air.
You will also find that these appliances are available in different prices for people with different budgets. As a result, there is no reason why you should not have an air purifier in your home if you really mind about your health. Check out our list of top air purifiers for the year 2021 if you are looking to buy one.
- Time 2021 With Top 10 Best Watches For Men in India - December 23, 2020
- Top 10 Best Hand Blenders For Indian Kitchens in 2021 - December 7, 2020
- Top 8 Best Printers in India For Home & Offices 2021 - November 2, 2020