If you are capable of making one-off initial investment into rooftop solar system to meet your electricity needs during power-cuts or as an alternative to what is supplied by the state power grids and thereby cut the cost on your utility bills, it is worth the investment.
What stops people from using it is the Rs.70 per Watt they have to spend in order to install this system and connect it to the grid. The good news, according to the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, is that the Government of India has subsidized the use of this system by 30% and around 70% in certain states like Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Sikkim, etc.
Another thing, India is so geographical positioned that the major part of a year remains sunlit. Hardly there are areas where overcast weather conditions are experienced outside monsoon. This particular fact is one of the biggest reasons why such a system is advantageous over a long period of time in India.
To help you choose the best solar panel in India in 2021, we have chosen top 10 PV solar panels which are best in their respective categories.Top 10 Best Solar Panels For Home in India (2021) Click To Tweet
Table of Contents
- How Do We Rate the Products
- Best Solar Panels in India for Home Use in 2021
- 1. Loom Solar Panel 375 Watt – 24 Volt Mono PERC (Pack of 2)
- 2. Luminous 325 Watt/24V Poly Crystalline Solar Panel
- 3. AWCRE – 330W, 24V Polycrystalline Solar Panel – Pack of 2
- 4. Galo Energy Solar Panel 390 W with 24 V and 72 Cell Mono Crystalline – Compatible On-Grid, Off-Grid, Highest Efficiency, PID Free, Anti Reflection, Aluminum Framing, Coated Glass (Pack of 1)
- 5. AWCRE – 200W, 12V Polycrystalline Solar Panel – Pack of 2
- 6. Loom Solar 180W Solar Panel (Pack of 2) with Panel Stand
- 7. Loom Solar 180W – 12V Mono Crystalline Panel (Pack of 2)
- 8. Luminous 160W – 12V Poly Crystalline Solar Panel for Home
- 9. Galo Energy BIS Certified Solar Panel 160W with 12 – Polycrystalline, Anti Reflection Coated Glass for Lighting, Mobile Charging, Off Grid Application, Highest Efficiency (Pack of 2)
- 10. Microtek Solar Panel MTK 150W 12V
- The Best Solar Panels in India 2021 – A Buying Guide
- The Best Solar Panels for Home in India 2021 – Conclusion
How Do We Rate the Products
In selecting the best solar panels, we have followed these criteria…
- Efficiency in terms of energy conversion
- The specifications which indicate the results when the system is tried against the standard conditions
- Energy coefficient
- The materials used in the solar panels
- Price &
- Customer reviews
Best Solar Panels in India for Home Use in 2021
1. Loom Solar Panel 375 Watt – 24 Volt Mono PERC (Pack of 2)
- 24 V battery charging
- Multiple panels that can be wired in series for 24/48 V battery or for grid-tied applications
- Bears up well against high wind and snow loads
- Compatible with on-grid and off-grid inverters
- 19% Cell Conversion efficiency
- Junction-Box pre-installed with diodes and comes with a pair of pre-attached 1M wire & MC4 connector
- 5 cm dimensions
This is a product from Loom Solar Pvt. Ltd, a company that is into this field since long and has offered solutions based on renewable energy that have won consumers’ trust.
This 375W PV system falls in the monocrystalline category, and features the latest PERC technology that lends the solar cells enhanced energy efficiency up to 20%.
Whether on-grid or off-grid, it works perfectly well with such inverters. The power distribution, too, is rendered extremely efficient with 5 bus bars.
The PV junction box comes with MC4 connectors and safely contains all the electrical components, having IP 67 rating which is better than IP 65.
This panel is designed to resist Potential Induced Degradation (PID). The 25 years warranty on the product tell-tales the story of its durability.
The customer reviews show that Loom Solar Panel 375 Watt 24 Volt Mono PERC is one of the best choices available to consumers in 2021 India.Check Sale Price
2. Luminous 325 Watt/24V Poly Crystalline Solar Panel
- Advanced EVA encapsulation
- PID resistance technology to avoid power loss
- Great low light performance
- Anti-reflective coating
- High torsion resistance against winds and snow loads
- 1976x991x40 mm
- 25 years warranty
This is another trusted brand in India manufacturing solar panels. Luminous has its service centers accross India, that makes it one of the Best Solar Panels for home in India. It bears close comparison with the 375W Loom Solar Panel in that though it offers less wattage, it has the same voltage as the product it competes with. It works perfectly both for homes and offices.
What makes this solar panel efficient is the protection of ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA) that is given to the solar modules, and the anti-reflective coating. EVA is a thermoplastic element that has high radiation transmission capacity and it tends to be proof against the adverse effects of sunlight. It prolongs the lifespan of solar cells.
As for the anti-reflective coating, it retains maximum amount of energy from sunlight and boosts conversion rate. Such panels are quite efficient in generating power supply. And they perform in low light conditions as well.
Also, since it is PID resistant, it keeps the system from loss of energy.
To top off the whole thing, the product comes with 25 years warranty. It places Luminous 325 Watt/24V Poly Crystalline Solar Panel among the best offers available out there.Check Sale Price
3. AWCRE – 330W, 24V Polycrystalline Solar Panel – Pack of 2
- High efficiency solar cells for maximum power generation (up to 3 units of power per day)
- Performs well in low light situation
- Inbuilt diode protection for accidental reverse connection
- Specially designed strong glass-top for concentrating sunlight to solar cells and withstand weight
- 24V 30A charge controller for two panels
- 25 years warranty
AWCRE is a leading name in technology, involved in developing products that cater to the need for energy for domestic and industrial application – energy that is sustainable.
This 330W, 24V polycrystalline solar panel is perfectly in keeping with its motto to make life easier with energy saving solutions and protecting natural resources for future generations.
It is a powerful tool that generates 3 units of energy per day. It works perfectly even in overcast conditions or bad weather. As for the stored energy, it is preserved effectively with diodes that would block energy from getting lost due to accidental reverse connection.
It is said to have passed through 25 quality checks. Sounds awesome, isn’t it? Its surface is provided with strong glass top which not only withstands weight but also concentrates sunlight to solar cells. And for protecting batteries from getting damaged due to overcharge, it has 24V 30A charge controller.
AWCRE 330W 24V polycrystalline solar panel has all that you may expect from a solar system.Check Sale Price
4. Galo Energy Solar Panel 390 W with 24 V and 72 Cell Mono Crystalline – Compatible On-Grid, Off-Grid, Highest Efficiency, PID Free, Anti Reflection, Aluminum Framing, Coated Glass (Pack of 1)
- 390W mono solar panel
- Automated Tabber & Stringer Process
- Highest efficiency Mono Cells with positive tolerance of up to 3W
- No negative tolerance for committed wattage
- Anti-reflection glass-coating
- Mono Crystalline panel with latest cell technology that generates maximum power from sunlight
- 5 years warranty on manufacturing defects
Galo Energy Solar Panel 390W is a monocrystalline solar panel that employs PERC technology to ensure optimum use of sunlight.
Tried in a given situation that may differ considerably from STC, this system offers a tolerance that is not higher than 3W and that is a big advantage. So, for the most part, you will find that the claims made for its output is justified in actual performance.
The panel is protected with anti-reflection glass that also serves it well regarding energy generating efficiency. This efficiency owes no less to the automated Tabber and Stringer process employed for connecting solar cells.
Whether you are eyeing cutting cost on utility bills or save yourself from the woes that beset you in a power outage situation or the requirements of your energy-efficient appliances, Galo Energy Solar Panel 390W will prove to be not only effective but also sustainable source of energy.Check Sale Price
5. AWCRE – 200W, 12V Polycrystalline Solar Panel – Pack of 2
- AWCRE 200W
- Open circuit voltage up to 22.3V and current Isc up to 11.75A (generates up to 2 units)
- Inbuilt diode protection for accidental reverse connection
- 25 year warranty
- 12V 30A solar charge controller for two panels
AWCRE 200W, 12V Polycrystalline Solar Panel differs from AWCRE 330W 24V polycrystalline solar panel only in terms of wattage and voltage specifications. The materials used in both remains the same.
The advantage of polycrystalline panels is that they prove quite efficient even at times when sunlight is low. This particular product works perfectly with off-grid and on-grid inverters and is capable of generating 2 units a day if sun shines uninterrupted.
It requires DC voltage of 12V that is transmitted to the batteries through solar charge controller having 12V 30Amps capacity. This is necessary to avoid hurting the batteries which are quite costly.
Its open circuit voltage is 22.3. It means that you practically expect less voltage than this. The same is true about the short circuit current. If your need is greater than this, you need more panels to meet it.
Then there is the customary diode to avoid accidental reverse connection that results in the loss of energy.
Taking everything into account, AWCRE 200W, 12V Polycrystalline Solar Panel should be considered to be one of the best options available to Indian consumers in 2021.Check Sale Price
6. Loom Solar 180W Solar Panel (Pack of 2) with Panel Stand
- Diodes pre-installed in junction box
- A pair of 40” cables with MC4 connectors
- Withstands high wind and snow loads
- Compatible with on-grid and off-grid inverters
- A+ Grade, anti PID Mono Cells having conversion efficiency of 20%
- 1490x665x35 dimension
Loom Solar 180W Solar Panel differs from Loom Solar Panel 375 Watt in terms of the open circuit voltage it offers in standard test conditions. It is considerably lower than the latter.
However, this particular detail has nothing to do with quality which remains on par with the other. It offers superb conversion efficiency because of the A+ grade solar silicon cells which are rendered absolutely durable against PID. The 20% power efficiency is quite impressive. Not too many panels offer the same level of efficiency. And it is reinforced by the pre-installed diodes to address the issue of the loss of power.
The monocrystalline technology, 5 bus bars, 36 cells and IP 67 rated junction…All these go in to make up a perfect solution for your uninterrupted power supply for many years.Check Sale Price
7. Loom Solar 180W – 12V Mono Crystalline Panel (Pack of 2)
- 12V battery charging or multiple wired panels for 24/48V battery charging or for grid-tied applications
- Pre-installed diodes in junction box and a pair of 40” cables with MC4 connectors
- Withstands high wind and snow loads
- Compatible with on-grid and off-grid inverters
- Open circuit voltage 23.26V and optimum operating current (Imp) 9.03Amps, short-circuit current (Isc) 9.31 Amps
- High modules conversion efficiency depending on sunlight availability
This Loom Solar Panel is good for 12V battery charging. But if you need more charge, then you can wire more panels for the purpose. Going for grid-tied application is another alternative. Ultimately, it is up to the users to weigh and choose their options.
It has a strong build to withstand high wind and snow loads. The entire setup of this solar system includes 1 battery, 1 solar inverter and 2 panels. There are several ways in which you can increase the output. Given its present output you cannot expect to run too many appliances; since different appliances require different voltage, sometimes higher than this setup affords. The good news is that you have viable solutions for this problem.
But what we just now said may sound a bit disappointing but actually it is not. Because this panel has tremendous conversion efficiency within the given specifications. The materials used in its make account for it. Even when there is not enough sunlight, this panel offers an output which is not much lower than the specified output obtained under standard test conditions.
Within its category, this Loom Solar 180W Panel looms larger than several other products available in the market.Check Sale Price
8. Luminous 160W – 12V Poly Crystalline Solar Panel for Home
- 160W 12V Poly Crystalline Solar Panel
- 12V operating voltage
- 25 years warranty
- Output power: 160W
- Excellent low light performance
- Anti-reflective coating and high torsion resistance against winds and snow loads
- 8 feet x 2.1 feet
Luminous solar panel 160W makes the seemingly simple structure of solar panels extremely useful for limited purposes. The 12V output should make it plain to you. When the sun shines with its full strength, this panel is capable of generating 8.7 Amps. Of course, you can draw more from it than is specified by using ways that are already discussed elsewhere in this article.
The quality materials used in it and the anti-reflective coating makes it absolutely solar and strong. For 25 years you need not worry about its functionality and durability.
Finally, Luminous 160W 12V Poly Crystalline Solar Panel is extremely cost-effective. This particular detail makes it an obvious choice for customers looking to buy quality product at best price. It is certainly the best in the class.Check Sale Price
9. Galo Energy BIS Certified Solar Panel 160W with 12 – Polycrystalline, Anti Reflection Coated Glass for Lighting, Mobile Charging, Off Grid Application, Highest Efficiency (Pack of 2)
- 160W, 12V 36 cells BIS certified solar panels
- Panel manufactured with automated Tabber & Stringer process
- High efficiency cells for positive tolerance up to 5W. No negative tolerance for the committed wattages
- Anti-reflective, high-transmission glass coating
- PID free
- Anodized frame
- Ideal for charging batteries, lighting and off grid applications
- 5 year warranty on manufacturing defects
This 160W solar panel from Galo is polycrystalline panel that comes with BIS certification and 12V output. It differs from the other Galo product reviewed in this article in one respect, that is, this one is a polycrystalline panel whereas the other one is monocrystalline. Since the output of this product is far less than the other, this one would serve limited purpose. But within this limitation, it remains one of the best options for Indian customers in 2021.Check Sale Price
10. Microtek Solar Panel MTK 150W 12V
- Positive power tolerance modules
- High conversion efficiency
- Anti-reflective coating glass
- Maximum power 150W / 12V, open circuit voltage 22.05V, and short circuit current 8.81A
- Multi Crystalline Silicon solar cell type
- Anodized frame
- Low iron glass top
- 1495x665x35 mm dimension
This polycrystalline solar panel from Microtek comes with inbuilt bypass switch and battery gravity management. The bypass switch has an important part to play at times when any fault develops in certain area of the panel. At such a time, the bypass switch helps bypass the normal UPS operation and saves loss of power.
Another important element in the specification of this system is the pure sinewave UPS. Though it is costly, it is extremely useful in keeping your electronic appliances safe. When combined with hybrid technology, it produces noise-free function, fast charging, greater output and long battery life.
To say the least, Microtek Solar Panel MTK 150W 12V is a truly next generation solar panel that is suitable for home and commercial use.Check Sale Price
The Best Solar Panels in India 2021 – A Buying Guide
Solar panels are one of the ways in which power is generated for domestic or commercial consumption at times when there is shortage of power.
Having said that, it must be added that it is certainly better than home inverters and generators. This is because the home inverters often have to struggle with the load depending on the kind of appliances and the amount of energy they consume.
As for the generators, they are surely not a cost-effective solution for a power-cut situation. That is because they need a lot of fuel. On the other hand, solar panels have a number of advantages when compared to the other two options:
- It runs on energy that is drawn from the sunlight. In other words, as long as the sun rises on this earth, solar panels will continue to have inexhaustible source of energy that they may convert into electricity. And, this energy is also renewable
- Though you have to spend some money upfront to buy the solar panels, their operating cost is zero. It does not require maintenance in the way that home inverters do. For instance, if the home inverter battery is dead, you may have to spend as much money as would supply half the cost of brand new solar panel. That’s something, isn’t it? Problems like burnt-out rectifiers, too, are costly
So, we may fairly say that the very concept of using solar energy for generating electricity has a lot of insight and also foresight in it. This is because the source of energy is continuously getting depleted on planet earth.
It is not for nothing that the nations are vying with each other in order to command the natural resources of the earth. So many territorial and international waters disputes are rooted in this particular problem. They know all too well how badly the world is going to face the dearth of energy resources in the time to come, and how profoundly it is going to impact our highly technologized civilization. That, also, is the reason why all of them are desperately trying to come up with alternatives of different kinds of energy resources.
Therefore, the solar energy could be viewed as a ray of hope in the dismal situation that the world is facing in future. This brings us back to consider in depth the use of solar panels and the advantages it offers.
While the use of solar energy began roughly hundred years back, the idea of employing solar panels for the purpose was made possible only after the discovery of photovoltaic effect in 1839 which brought to birth what is now called photovoltaic cell or solar cell.
A photovoltaic cell is made from semiconductor materials. Solar panels comprise of such cells. Generally, the materials used in making these cells include n-type and p-type silicon, phosphorous and boron.
What this photovoltaic cell does is to absorb photons and convert their electromagnetic energy into electricity. This method was first used in space satellites. People had first-hand experience of the efficacy of the solar cells through their calculators.
One great advantage of solar panels is that the extra energy is saved in the electric grid during the day time, and the same can be used during night.
Types of Solar Panel
There are three types of solar panels available in the market:
- Monocrystalline: Its solar cells are made from a single crystal of silicon. These cells are arranged in rows and framed in a rectangle frame which is largely made from aluminum. The surface of this panel, and also of the polycrystalline, is coated with glass. These panels are black-colored and having back sheets which are either black or silver or white.
- Polycrystalline: This type of solar panel is made from silicon crystals melted and formed into thin plates. In other details it remains the same as the monocrystalline solar panels. These panels are blue-colored having back sheets which are silver or white. You may consider it to be a disadvantage that it requires greater area for installation.
- Thin-film: This type is made from cadmium telluride or amorphous silicon or copper, indium, gallium and selenium. Those which are made from cadmium telluride have it formed into a layer that is inserted between conducting layers. Those made from non-crystalline silicon have it applied on the glass, plastic or metal surface. When they are made from CIGS, these four metals are placed between two conductive layers. These are either blue or black.
Since the climatic conditions greatly affect the durability of the product, you need to know whether it has passed IEC standards. For the rest of India the relevant certifications include IEC 61646 and IEC 61215 or IEC14286. If you are living in a coastal region, you MUST ensure that the product of your choice has IEC 61701 certification.
These solar panels are further differentiated in terms of how they are connected to the power grid. Some form a system that is grid inter-tied; some form a system that is not only grid inter-tied but also supported by battery backup; and some form a system that is off-grid. It is up to you to decide which one you want to go for.
Potential Induced Degradation (PID)
Before finalizing the purchase, it is advisable to do some research to find out whether the panels are resistant to Potential Induced Degradation (PID) or not. This is because PID may seriously affect the capacities of modules in course of time.
These systems are designed to keep stored energy from getting drained with the help of diodes which come pre-installed with the junction box. It makes power unidirectional, that is, flowing into the battery. So, you expect the junction boxes to feature varying numbers of diodes.
You may also like to read about best solar lights in 2021
Understanding the Specifications
Now, let us turn to how you can select the best solar panel for all your needs. This involves understanding the specifications of any given solar panel in the right way. Not all would like to get into a number of technical considerations involved in it; but for the sake of those who are more fastidious, we shall try to offer some help here.
- Efficiency of a solar panel: In order to learn about the efficiency of a solar panel you have to use the following formula: Output power per square meter/Input power per square meter x 100. The result of the calculation produces a number that shows efficiency percentage. If you don’t want to get into the technicalities of all this, it suffices for you to limit yourself to learning the cell conversion efficiency. The greater it is, the better it is. Simple!
- Open circuit voltage (Voc): This shows the number of modules in one string that connects certain number of solar cells in a series wired to the charge controller. To leave aside the technical side, you have a voltage specification that gives you the number when the panel is tested under standard conditions. You must understand that these standard conditions do not remain the same everywhere. The specified voltage shows the optimum voltage produced by the panel when it is not have a load. The performance varies in keeping with climatic conditions.
- Short circuit current (Isc): This shows how many amperes the panels produce when not connected with a load.
- On-grid & off-grid: The on-grid system is tied to the grid so that the electricity it produces is channeled to the grid. Your home appliances and other electrical goods derive their energy resources from this grid. If your system generates more power, it goes to the grid.
The off-grid system is not connected to the grid but rather stores the energy it produces into batteries.
- Anti-reflective coating: This is provided with the help of films which are made from SiO2(1), TiO(2), silicon nitride (SiNx) (3) and boron nitride (BNx). Their spectral analysis shows that they are quite stable, having wide band gap energy. To put it plainly, they are low reflection materials. It means that the panels having such a coating draw maximum energy from sunlight.
Having talked about the technical aspects of the solar panels, it is time now to ask yourself the question: Which solar panel will meet your requirements? The more you expect from it, the higher the cost and specifications involved in it.
Your requirements could be:
- Cutting cost on energy consumption in the long run
- Earning few bucks for contributing extra energy to the grid
- Utilizing the system to ward off the inconvenience that you stand to experience during power shortages. As it is, this system utilizes the sunlight to source energy for your utility. The sunlight is one of the sources of renewable energy which is inexhaustible. It is simply not possible that you run short of it
Now suppose if you have already made a purchase and its utility proves that you need more out of it? Your battery bank simply does not have the capacity to offer the output you require. In this situation, you do have a solution in the form of MPPT charge controller that considerably boosts the voltage output. Here’s where the disadvantage of traditional PWM charge controller comes to the fore.
Top Solar Panel Brands in India 2021
- Loom Solar
- Tata Solar
- Trina Solar &
Buying a product from any of these is bound to make your burden light concerning its quality and durability. Some of these also offer products which are quite cost-effective when compared with others.
The Best Solar Panels for Home in India 2021 – Conclusion
We have put you in the know of the top 10 solar panels in India and also delivered the few important details to make you an informed customer. Closely following our guide lines would amply reward your experience as a consumer.
Last update on 2021-09-19 / Images from Amazon